Race2 /reɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[reys] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun
- 1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
- 2. a population so related.
- 3. Anthropology.
- a. any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
- b. an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
- c. a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
- 4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
- 5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race.
- 6. the human race or family; humankind: Nuclear weapons pose a threat to the race.
- 7. Zoology. a variety; subspecies.
- 8. a natural kind of living creature: the race of fishes.
- 9. any group, class, or kind, esp. of persons: Journalists are an interesting race.
- 10. the characteristic taste or flavor of wine.Race
References and Notations Edit
- ↑ Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
--Sarcasmsvoice 22:19, 1 October 2006 (UTC)
All items (14)